Isla Vista Community Services District
970 Embarcadero del Mar Suite 101
Isla Vista, CA 93117
Benefited, At-will position
- QSEHRA Plan - $429/month to reimburse for health insurance & medical costs
- Retirement Plan - 3% Employer match to a Simple IRA
- Paid Holidays
- 15 days of paid time off upon hiring, accrual of 15 days per calendar year thereafter with a maximum of 30
- 3 days of sick leave with 1 day per month accrual
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance to be offered after 30 days of hiring
The Assistant General Manager (GM) reports directly to the General Manager and serves as one of two management employees for the District responsible for all administration, service delivery, and public communication. The AGM works closely with the GM to execute the direction and policies of the Board of Directors, while also working with community partners to ensure visibility of the District.
The Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status.
- Assist the General Manager in administering District finances and serve as an internal control for finances and other District documents
- Administer the District’s Rental Housing Mediation Program by communicating with clients, scheduling mediations, and promoting the service in the community
- Assist in administering District outreach and communications: press releases, website, email list, canvassing, social media
- Attend Board meetings, perform clerk duties, and assist the General Manager in following up Board direction/requests
- Ensure more consistent open office hours for the District office and assist in the organization of the office and District records
- Assist the General Manager in the development, evaluation, and improvement of District services
- Assist in the research and writing of grants to fund District services
- Performs additional duties as required.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate will possess a professional history that demonstrates the following attributes and qualities:
- Willingness to understand and take part in Isla Vista’s unique community culture.
- Some knowledge of local government in California is preferred but not required.
- Ability to work with a wide array of partners including other government agencies, students, nonprofits, and community groups.
- Create well organized internal systems to provide for smooth and transparent operations.
- Creatively develop solutions to complex community issues.
- Strong writing skills for both external communication (ex press releases), reports to the Board, and grants.
- Ability to speak Spanish is preferred but not required.
- Ability to communicate to clients with sensitive cases and be organized to follow up regularly to schedule appointments.
- Experience with marketing and ad targeting on current social media platforms.
- Speaks professionally and clearly in public (ex Board of Directors meetings and other community events).
- Use of Google Suite, especially Google Docs, Sheets, Forms, and Slides.
- Keeps internal matters confidential.
- Friendly and approachable to all District visitors, partners, employees, and volunteers.
Holds a bachelor's degree from an accredited College/University.
Recruitment Opens: May 1, 2019
Deadline for Applications: June 3, 2019
Invitations to Interview: June 7, 2019
Interviews Conducted: June 17 - 21, 2019
Target Hire Date: July 1, 2019
How to Apply:
For Isla Vista, by Isla Vista, building the community we deserve.
About the Isla Vista Community Services District
Isla Vista, CA is a close-knit beachside town along the South Central Coast in Santa Barbara County. It is known for its youthful atmosphere and the adventurous spirit of its residents. The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) was formed in early 2017 (Pursuant to Government Code § 61250) after years of struggles for self governance by the residents of this unincorporated community. The District currently manages community facilities and programs, contracts for community policing services, operates a rental housing mediation program while continuing to build the administrative structure of our newly formed District. The adopted 2018-2019 budget includes $1.3 million for public safety, community programs, public works, housing mediation services, and more.
Pursuant to Government Code § 61250, the Isla Vista Community Services District is authorized to:
- Create a tenant mediation program.
- Finance the operations of area planning commissions
- Exercise the powers of a parking district
- Contract with the County of Santa Barbara or the Regents of the University of California, or both, for additional police protection services
- Acquire, construct, improve, maintain, and operate community facilities, including, but not limited to, community centers, libraries, theaters, museums, cultural facilities, and child care facilities.
- Acquire, construct, improve, and maintain sidewalks, lighting, gutters, and trees to supplement the level of service already provided by either the County of Santa Barbara or County Service Area 31.
- Abate graffiti.
- Finance the operations of municipal advisory councils
- Contract with the County of Santa Barbara, the Santa Barbara County Department of Planning and Development’s Code Enforcement Program, or both, to provide Code Enforcement services to supplement the level of service provided by either the County of Santa Barbara or the Santa Barbara County Department of Planning and Development’s Code Enforcement Program, or both