Isla Vista Community Services District
970 Embarcadero del Mar Suite 101
Isla Vista, CA 93117
Salary & Benefits:
Platinum PPO health, dental, and vision insurance (value of $12,339/year), provided 30 days after hire
Retirement - Required participation in a 457(b) retirement plan, 9% employer contribution and 3% employee contribution
Paid Time Off - 12 Paid Holidays, Winter Recess (12/24-1/2), 15 vacation days per year (prorated upon hire, with rollover), and sick days.
FLSA Exempt | Benefited, At-will position
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Assistant General Manager - Community Programs (AGM-CP) is responsible for implementing the Isla Vista Community Services District’s (IVCSD) goal to ensure that the Isla Vista Community Center (IVCC) is successfully reopened as an inviting and exciting space for the entire community, and that this new public resource is used strategically as a vehicle for positive cultural change in Isla Vista. This position will also support the implementation of the IVCSD’s goal to organize community stakeholders to imagine and implement regular programming for nightlife, arts, and culture through the Isla Vista Community Center, Community Room (IVCR), and other community facilities.
Under the direction of the General Manager, in a high-level leadership role, the Assistant General Manager - Community Programs will lead in planning, developing, managing, and executing the District’s programming and service delivery efforts around the Isla Vista Community Center, Community Room, and other community facilities operated by the District.
The AGM-CP will also work closely with the General Manager on overseeing the District’s other Community Programs budgets and services including: Survivor Resource Center, Community Garden, and Community Festival.
This position will assist the General Manager or other staff in areas such as facilities maintenance and major capital projects (by identifying facility needs for programs/services, for example).
IVCSD VISION STATEMENT
For Isla Vista, by Isla Vista, building the community we deserve.
ABOUT THE IVCSD
Isla Vista, CA is a close-knit oceanside town along the South-Central Coast in Santa Barbara County. It is known for its youthful atmosphere and the adventurous spirit of its residents. The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) was formed in early 2017 (Pursuant to Government Code § 61250) after decades of struggles for self-governance by the residents of this unincorporated community. The District’s adopted 2021-2022 budget includes $1.3 million for community facilities and programs, public safety services, a rental housing mediation program, a community beautification program, a compost collection service, and more. We have a small staff of a General Manager, Assistant General Manager, and interns; along with many contractors and community partners.
For more information about the Isla Vista Community Center: https://islavistacsd.ca.gov/isla-vista-community-center-and-room
- Actively work with community partners and service providers to develop and implement strategic partnerships that deliver necessary and impactful services/programs in Isla Vista through the Isla Vista Community Center and Community Room.
- Actively work with potential users of the Isla Vista Community Center and Community Room to ensure successful public/private events take place, and develop and manage a community calendar of events and reservation system.
- Develop and implement an Isla Vista Community Center strategic plan, with measurable goals and objectives.
- Lead the implementation of measurement, data collection, and feedback systems that support ongoing learning, accountability, and assessment of impact.
- Staff the Community Advisory Board and work with that group to identify how to best serve the community through the Isla Vista Community Center and Community Room.
- Utilize the Grant Writing budget and work to secure additional funding for the Community Center on a regular basis, and other community programs as deemed necessary.
- Identify facility obstacles and needs to deliver community programs, and propose improvements to be made to facilities to the General Manager.
- Develop policies and procedures for the use of the Isla Vista Community Center and the Isla Vista Community Room.
- Track all program-related costs to the Isla Vista Community Center, Community Room, and other community facilities.
- Supervise District staff/interns to support community programs efforts.
OTHER DUTIES: To support IVCSD operations other duties, responsibilities, and activities as assigned. This position requires work on weekends and evenings as-needed.
- Google of Drive for storage; Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Sites for collaboration.
- Website content management systems, social media, and some working knowledge of digital software such as email marketing, calendaring, reservations, etc.
- Community engagement and/or organizing.
- Theories on social change, community building, youth & families, public goods.
- Principals, practices, philosophies, and objectives of public community-based programs and services.
- Agile/SCRUM/Kanban work systems/methodologies is preferred but not required
- Some knowledge of local government in California is preferred but not required.
- Build strong relationships with a wide array of partners including youth and families, other government agencies, students, seniors, nonprofits, businesses, property owners, and community groups.
- Identify, develop, and implement strategic partnerships/services/programs to meet community needs.
- Create systems to measure effectiveness of programs with continuous improvement in mind, iterate or pivot as needed.
- Lead others to reach a common goal.
- Plan events with a range of budgets/resources.
- Manage a budget.
- Develop/maintain/implement policies and procedures.
- Speak professionally and clearly in public.
- Work within a collaborative environment.
- Produce simple graphic design materials.
- Respond to public inquiries in a professional manner.
- Write strongly, clearly, and effectively for both external communication, such as partnership solicitations, and internal communication, such as reports to the Board.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has the willingness to understand and be a part of Isla Vista’s unique community culture.
- Thinks creatively and strategically, employing a sense of curiosity and commitment to continuous learning and growth.
- Can work independently or in a team structure as-needed, in a fast environment with multiple priorities/tasks.
- Maintains a friendly, professional and approachable demeanor.
- Keeps internal matters confidential.
- Speaks Spanish (preferred but not required).
- Is responsive and corresponds with colleagues, constituents, and stakeholders in a timely manner.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
A bachelor's or associate’s degree from an accredited College/University, or equivalent experience, in the following fields is preferred but not required: sociology, public administration, gender/ethnic studies, psychology, arts/cultural studies,or a related field.
Three to five years working in the following fields is preferred but not required: community service, program management, service delivery, non-profit/community based organization, or a related field.
Recruitment Opens: July 15, 2021
Deadline for Applications: August 5, 2021
Invitations to Interview: August 6, 2021
Interviews Conducted: August 9 - 19, 2021
Target Hire Date: August 24 - September 3, 2021
How to Apply:
Submit a resume, cover letter, and application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm August 5, 2021: https://forms.gle/8wc5mGsy71RcPMZH8
The Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES
This list is a broad list of duties that may be completed as part of the job description, the Assistant General Manager - Community Programs will work closely with the General Manager to prioritize work needed to be accomplished for the District.
- Work with IV Community Center Advisory board to develop vision and priorities for the Isla Vista Community Center and Isla Vista Community Room
- Effectively manages a publically available community calendar for scheduling diverse activities in both spaces.
- Make sure stakeholders have all necessary building access in a timely manner prior to utilizing these spaces for community benefit.