Isla Vista Community Services District
Job Title: PUBLIC POLICY PAID INTERN
Twelve (12) hours per week
Hourly Pay: $15.00
This is a six (6) month Internship for the duration of the 2020-2021 academic year, with an approximate start date of January 19, 2021 at 5pm. Applicants may apply by google form or UCSB handshake by January 5 at 5pm, 2021
Interns are expected to work between 10 to 13 hours per week. An Intern’s documented academic course obligations will help determine the work schedule.
Interns may or may not be currently enrolled in a college, trade or technical school, professional apprenticeship, or academic certification program.
Formed following 47 years of community advocacy and after extensive community input, the California Legislature passed Assembly Bill 3 in 2015, and the voters approved Measure E in 2016 founding the Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) on March 1, 2017.
The IVCSD provides governance by an elected board which meets bi-monthly to address the communal needs and desires of Isla Vista (IV) residents. The IVCSD Board of Directors provide direction and guidance to the IVCSD staff for the provision of services.
Today IVCSD services so far include a rental housing mediation program, community facilities which include a Community Center and Community Room, community beautification and graffiti abatement, lighting and sidewalks improvements, and a free composting program.
A Public Policy Intern will work with the General and Assistant General Manager to execute the IVCSD Board of Directors directions and the provision of Community Services District (CSD) services. The Intern can play a major role in the day to day operations and delivery of CSD services along with identifying needed service areas or the expansion of CSD programs. Interns aid and support District staff in the execution of the policies set by the elected Board of Directors.
Interns will work on a variety of tasks and projects ranging from District administrative needs, analyzing local government documents, planning District events, researching and executing District services, and constituent outreach.
An Intern will complete various tasks and projects involving District services including, but not limited to the following services:
- Rental Housing Mediation
- Community Center / Community Events
- Community Beautification and Graffiti Abatement
- Lighting and Sidewalk expansion
- Composting services
- Safety Stations & Interpersonal Violence Investigator
- Parking & Transportation
- Community affairs/planning
Examples of Duties:
- Attend related community-based organizational meetings to build relationships within the community
- Propose, develop, and implement projects to better the community within the scope of the CSD.
- Participate and assist in marketing and outreach efforts to educate the community, both residents and businesses, about CSD services and/or programs
- Create related community outreach and marketing materials, both print and digital materials
- Assist in the development, design, and delivery of community service programs
- Assist in the development, design, and delivery of community events, including public education forums, town hall meetings, public hearings and/or debates
- Assist with records management projects, maintenance, and related tasks
- Identification of grants and other funding sources and related work for securing alternative funding resources
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities are qualifying.
Education & Experience
Some completed coursework leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate preferred, but not required.
- Understand the landscape and social dynamics of Isla Vista.
- General awareness of Santa Barbara County, Isla Vista, and UCSB issues.
- Local government operations, including some knowledge of the IVCSD operations
- Google Suite: Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms
- Zoom, and/or other virtual meeting platforms
- Social media applications
- Workplace operations and organization.
- Represent the District in a professional and courteous manner
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Work cooperatively with IVCSD staff, service providers, the public
- Clearly communicate with others within and outside of the workplace.
- Perform analytical work and prepare clear and concise reports.
- Use tact and discretion in dealing with those contacted in the course of work.
- Plan, develop, review and complete projects in a timely manner.
- Interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
- Compose succinct and substantive reports.
- Organizing others to accomplish a task or to take action
The Ideal Candidate
- Will desire to provide services to the IV community.
- Will be self-motivated, detail-oriented, reliable, punctual, and honest
- Will display a high sense of integrity when completing assignments
- Will present and conduct oneself with professionalism
- Will maintain confidentiality in the workplace.
Normally a shared open office environment. Employees will work remotely for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Interested in being involved with your local government and improving our community?
The Isla Vista Community Service District (IVCSD) is looking for 4 Public Policy Interns for the 2020 - 2021 school year. Our goal is to improve our community through the development of new community resources and partnerships. Your task will be to conduct research, communications, and leadership to accomplish the mission of the CSD.
The Isla Vista Community Services District aims to improve the resources available to the community, ensure a high quality of life and level of public safety, and provide a local voice to the people of Isla Vista. The District will work to prioritize community engagement as it delivers localized public services and maximizes the resources available to the community.
A voice for Isla Vista, by Isla Vista, building the community we deserve.
- Community engagement and transparent decision making
- Efficient and innovative use of public tax dollars
- Pursuit of ambitious change for our community
- Social justice centered while putting people first
- Constituent service and education
- Safety, wellbeing, and enjoyment for all in Isla Vista
- Celebrating diverse perspectives and ideas