Community Engagement Intern
Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD)
970 Embarcadero del Mar Suite 101
Isla Vista, CA 93117
Salary & Benefit Range:
Starting at $17/hr
10 hours/week depending on schedule and availability
ABOUT THE POSITION
IVCSD’s Community Engagement Department is looking for an intern who has a passion for supporting residents and community members while collaborating with community partners. The Community Engagement Department oversees Community Education, Community Outreach, Resource Development, and Volunteer Engagement. The Community Engagement Intern plays an important role in providing support to the Community Engagement team through assisting in the planning and execution of accessible and diverse programs designed to increase community participation and awareness by providing administrative and analytic support.
IVCSD VISION STATEMENT
For Isla Vista, by Isla Vista, building the community we deserve.
ABOUT THE IVCSD
Isla Vista, CA is a close-knit oceanside town along the South-Central Coast in Santa Barbara County. It is known for its youthful atmosphere and the adventurous spirit of its residents. The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) was formed in early 2017 (Pursuant to Government Code § 61250) after decades of struggles for self-governance by the residents of this unincorporated community. The District’s adopted 2021-2022 budget includes $1.3 million for community facilities and programs, public safety services, a rental housing mediation program, a community beautification program, a compost collection service, and more. We have a small staff of a General Manager, Community Engagement Director, Compost Collective Program Manager, Isla Vista Beautiful Program Manager, and Community Spaces Program Manager; along with many contractors and community partners.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Promote IVCSD’s mission, and inform the community about IVCSD’s services and role in the community.
- Direct contact with community members through resource distribution tabling and canvassing throughout the community.
- Deliver a range of innovative community outreach and engagement activities and actively gather and facilitate community feedback.
- Assist the Community Engagement Director or other staff in the development, design, and widespread delivery of community events, public education forums, and town hall meetings.
- Assist the Community Engagement Director or other staff with creating flyers and social media content that is updated and includes accessibility information.
- Assists with presentations about community awareness and programs to community entities/stakeholders
- Publicizes community engagement efforts through flyers, posters, social media, and networking with residents, local groups, businesses, and organizations.
- Attends community meetings as needed.
- Recruits and provides information about support opportunities that ensure local community members volunteer
- Compiles and documents progress reports given the feedback and data collected.
- Work in different environments (both from home, office-based, and on the ground), at times best suited to the needs of the community including evenings and weekends.
OTHER DUTIES: To support IVCSD operations other duties, responsibilities, and activities as assigned. This position requires work on weekends and evenings as needed.
- Understands the landscape and the culture of Isla Vista.
- Uses Google Suite; Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms.
- Participated in or had a previous leadership role in community engagement and/or organizing.
- Has a general understanding of the concerns and issues that pertain to Santa Barbara County, Isla Vista, and UCSB’s campus
- Familiar with local government operations, including some knowledge of the IVCSD operations
- Has experience using social media applications/platforms (Instagram, Canva, Facebook, or Youtube)
- Agile/SCRUM/Kanban work system methodologies are preferred, but not required
- Uses Zoom, Google Meet, or other virtual meeting platforms
- Some knowledge of local government in California is preferred, but not required.
- Represent the District in a professional and courteous manner
- Use both written and oral forms of communication
- Work cooperatively with IVCSD staff, stakeholders, service providers, and the public
- Clearly communicate with others within and outside of the workplace
- Work in a collaborative environment
- Conduct analytical work and construct clear and concise progress reports
- Plan, develop, revise, and complete projects in a timely manner
- Be organized and have good time management skills
- Problem solve and maintain a solution-oriented mindset to formulate new and innovative solutions.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has a strong desire to listen to the experiences, provide resources, and direct services to the Isla Vista community
- Is committed to understanding and being a part of Isla Vista’s unique community culture.
- Self-motivated, communicative, detail-oriented, reliable, punctual, and honest.
- Thinks creatively and strategically, employing a sense of curiosity and commitment to continuous learning and growth
- Can work independently or in a collaborative team structure as needed
- Maintains a friendly, professional, optimistic, and approachable demeanor
- Keeps personal and internal matters confidential
- Has a sincere passion for community engagement, outreach, and care
All employees of the IVCSD are public servants of Isla Vista and represent a community investment in good governance. As such, employees shall strive to be efficient in their service and conduct themselves professionally and courteously in all dealings with the public and fellow employees. IVCSD Policy Manual
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
Some completed coursework leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate is preferred but not required.
Recruitment Opens: August 23, 2022
Deadline for Applications: September 19, 2022
Invitations to Interview: September 20, 2022
Interviews Conducted: September 21-23, 2022
Target Hire Date: September 28, 2022
How to Apply:
- Complete the following Google Form by 10am September 19, 2022:
The Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status.