Compost Pile Coordinator Job Announcement
Isla Vista Compost Collective - Compost Pile Coordinator
Various compost pile locations
Isla Vista, CA 93117
10 -15 hrs/week
Temporary Part-Time Hourly Position | At will
Commitment date: Must be available to work onsite through early June 2023
Preferred Start Date: June 27th, 2022
ABOUT THE IVCSD’s COMPOST COLLECTIVE:
The mission of IVCC is to provide a free and reliable composting service for Isla Vista residents. IVCC serves the IV community by providing a service that reduces our carbon footprint, diverts waste, and promotes the health of our soil and local ecosystem. The main service we provide our community is food scrap collection via 5 gallon buckets and our electric bike. IVCC uses various community compost piles to compost the communities food scraps, averaging around eight hundred pounds of food scraps per week.
ABOUT THE IVCSD:
Isla Vista, CA is a close-knit oceanside town along the South-Central Coast in Santa Barbara County. It is known for its youthful atmosphere and the adventurous spirit of its residents. The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) was formed in early 2017 (Pursuant to Government Code § 61250) after decades of struggles for self-governance by the residents of this unincorporated community. The District’s adopted 2021-2022 budget includes $1.3 million for community facilities and programs, public safety services, a rental housing mediation program, a community beautification program, a compost collection service, and more.
ABOUT THE POSITION
IVCC’s Compost Coordinator is responsible for the management of the community compost piles within Isla Vista, under the direction of IVCC’s Program Manager. The Compost Coordinator is involved in the entire composting process from incorporation of food scraps to the application of finished compost to soil. In addition, the Compost Coordinator assists in recruiting volunteers and overseeing community volunteer days associated with compost pile maintenance.
- Maintain and supervise the compost piles at St. Michaels University Church and United Methodist Church.
- Assist the Program Manager in scheduling Dirtriders (IVCC coordinators) weekly pile maintenance shifts
- Assist in the maintenance of community compost piles supervised by the Edible Campus Program and Department of Public Worms, such as Greenhouse Garden Projects and Family Student Housing gardens.
- Coordinate and oversee weekly community volunteer days
- Attend and participate in weekly IVCC team meetings.
- Communicate and collaborate with members of the community such as members of St. Michaels University Church, United Methodist Church, UCSB’s Department of Public Worms (DPW) and Edible Campus Program (ECP) on composting projects, composting workshops, and community volunteer days.
- Assist Program Manager in the creation and facilitation of educational workshops and community volunteer days.
- Assist the Program Manager in the creation of educational composting materials to share with the IVCC team and community.
- Assist the Program Manager in data collection and data reports to track the progress and capacity of compost piles.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
Physically turning the compost pile with a pitchfork or shovel, watering the pile when necessary, taking the temperature of the compost pile and recording it in a data sheet, maintaining a healthy ratio of browns and greens, etc.
Partnering with local organizations to host community volunteer days, educating volunteers on composting, directing volunteers to effectively accomplish a majority of the weekly compost pile maintenance within single volunteer day.
To support Isla Vista Compost Collective operations, other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned. This position will work on weekends and evenings as needed for community outreach and events.
- Composting methods, principles, and practices (let us know what types of composting methods you have used in your cover letter)
- Knowledge of organic/permaculture principles
- Basic environmental information/ education
SKILL/ ABILITY TO:
- Create educational material and assist in facilitating workshops, tours, classes, and/or volunteer days (preferred)
- Ability to perform necessary physical tasks such as lifting up to 40 lbs (minimum qualification for this role)
- Multi-lingual (preferred)
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Possesses excellent work ethic, appreciation for efficiency, and a good sense of operational rhythm.
- Maintains superior communication and collaboration skills with a diverse group of community members.
- Has excellent time and task management and is self-directed and self-motivated
- Has attention to detail and good information retention.
- Is willing to follow and develop protocol. Curiosity and ambition for operational excellence.
- Personally committed to undertaking the ongoing work of dismantling personal bias and all forms of supremacy.
- Passionate about compost, farming, and the food system.
Recruitment Opens: June 8, 2022
Deadline for Applications: June 22, 2022
Invitations to Interview: June 23, 2022
Interviews Conducted: June 23-25, 2022
Target Hire Date: June 27, 2022
HOW TO APPLY:
- Submit a resume and cover letter to IVCC’s Program Manager, Carly Marto, at email@example.com by 10:00am on June 22, 2022.
The Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status.
All employees of the IVCSD are public servants of Isla Vista and represent a community investment in good governance. As such, employees shall strive to be efficient in their service and conduct themselves professionally and courteously in all dealings with the public and fellow employees. IVCSD Policy Manual