Isla Vista Beautiful Program Manager
Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD)
970 Embarcadero del Mar Suite 101
Isla Vista, CA 93117
Salary & Benefit Range:
$21.50 - $25.8/hr for 40 hours per week
Platinum PPO health, dental, and vision insurance (value of $12,339/year), provided 30 days after hire
Retirement - Required participation in a 457(b) retirement plan, 9% employer contribution and 3% employee contribution
Paid Time Off - 12 Paid Holidays, Winter Recess (12/24-1/1), 15 vacation days per year (prorated upon hire, with rollover), and sick days
Benefited, At-will position
Full time position
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Isla Vista Beautiful Program Manager will support implementing the Isla Vista Community Services District’s (IVCSD) goal to Collaborate with local stakeholders to reduce waste, increase sustainability, beautify the community, and better coordinate waste disposal for “Move Out” in June and year round. Establish a new more sustainable status quo for “Move Out” by 2025. This position will also support the implementation of the IVCSD’s goal to Reestablish the District’s Isla Vista Beautiful service by hiring/training a Program Manager and developing a new crew structure as District employees, building a partnership with a non-profit service provider for work experience contracting, and iterating upon the previous version’s protocols/operations (note this is a service that is transitioning from a contract model to an in-house model).
“Move Out” is the time in mid-June each year when leases end and students complete the academic year that results in many residents moving at once.
IVCSD VISION STATEMENT
For Isla Vista, by Isla Vista, building the community we deserve.
ABOUT THE IVCSD
Isla Vista, CA is a close-knit oceanside town along the South-Central Coast in Santa Barbara County. It is known for its youthful atmosphere and the adventurous spirit of its residents. The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) was formed in early 2017 (Pursuant to Government Code § 61250) after decades of struggles for self-governance by the residents of this unincorporated community. The District’s adopted 2021-2022 budget includes $1.3 million for community facilities and programs, public safety services, a rental housing mediation program, a community beautification program, a compost collection service, and more. We have a small staff of a General Manager, Assistant General Manager, Community Engagement Director, Community Spaces Manager, Compost Collective Manager, Executive Assistant, and interns; along with many contractors and community partners.
More information about the current iteration of Isla Vista Beautiful: https://islavistacsd.ca.gov/isla-vista-beautiful
- Manage a crew of workers to identify and respond to beautification issues in the Isla Vista community including trash, graffiti, overgrown brush, dim/out street lights, and more.
- Communicate with public/private agencies and property owners to ensure beautification activities and services take place.
- Operate the IVCSD’s SeeClickFix platform to communicate with the public for service requests, assign work orders to staff, and collect data.
- Implement measurement, data collection, and feedback systems that support ongoing learning, accountability, and assessment of impact.
- Work with the IVCSD Community Engagement Director to recruit volunteers and manage a volunteer community beautification operation.
- Work with the General Manager to develop and maintain an operations manual for Isla Vista Beautiful.
- Assist the General Manager with identifying opportunities for additional beautification services and implementation.
- Assist the General Manager with tracking all program-related costs.
- Collaborate with District staff and partners on improving the sustainability of the annual Isla Vista Move Out in June.
OTHER DUTIES: To support IVCSD operations other duties, responsibilities, and activities as assigned. This position requires work on some weekends and evenings per the events schedule.
- Google Drive for storage; Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Sites for collaboration.
- Work management systems, social media, and some working knowledge of digital tools.
- Community engagement and/or organizing.
- Principals, practices, philosophies, and objectives of public community-based programs and services.
- Agile/SCRUM work methodologies is preferred but not required
- Some knowledge of local government in California is preferred but not required.
- Build strong relationships with a wide array of partners/users.
- Create systems to measure effectiveness of programs with continuous improvement in mind, and to iterate or pivot as needed.
- Manage a diverse crew doing physical labor, willingness to perform physical labor to identify program optimization
- Design systems and processes that are user friendly.
- Provide excellent constituent/customer service
- Speak professionally and clearly in public.
- Work within a collaborative environment.
- Use Canva to produce simple graphic design materials.
- Respond to public inquiries in a professional manner.
- Write strongly, clearly, and effectively for both external communication, such as partnership solicitations, and internal communication, such as reports to the Board.
- Lift/carry at least 25lb is preferred but not required
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has the willingness to understand and be a part of Isla Vista’s unique community culture.
- Speaks Spanish (strongly preferred but not required).
- Thinks creatively and strategically, employing a sense of curiosity and commitment to continuous learning and growth.
- Can work independently or in a team structure as-needed, with multiple priorities/tasks.
- Maintains a friendly, professional and approachable demeanor.
- Keeps internal matters confidential.
- Is responsive and corresponds with colleagues, constituents, and stakeholders in a timely manner.
All employees of the IVCSD are public servants of Isla Vista and represent a community investment in good governance. As such, employees shall strive to be efficient in their service and conduct themselves professionally and courteously in all dealings with the public and fellow employees. IVCSD Policy Manual
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
A bachelor's or associate’s degree from an accredited College/University, or equivalent experience, is preferred but not required.
Equivalent experience includes working in community service, program management, volunteer management, or a related field.
Recruitment Opens: May 25, 2022
Deadline for Applications: June 17, 2022
Invitations to Interview: June 17, 2022
Interviews Conducted: June 21-24, 2022
Target Hire Date: July 1 - August 1, 2022
How to Apply:
Submit a resume, cover letter, and application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10:00am June 17, 2022: https://forms.gle/V7nK4G8bnYXveBqHA
The Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status.