Isla Vista Community Spaces Program Manager
Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD)
970 Embarcadero del Mar Suite 101
Isla Vista, CA 93117
Salary & Benefit Range:
$24/hr for 40 hours per week, with opportunity to advance
Platinum PPO health, dental, and vision insurance (value of $12,339/year), provided 30 days after hire
Retirement - Required participation in a 457(b) retirement plan, 9% employer contribution and 3% employee contribution
Paid Time Off - 12 Paid Holidays, Winter Recess (12/24-1/2), 15 vacation days per year (prorated upon hire, with rollover), and sick days
Benefited, At-will position
Full time position
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Isla Vista Community Events & Programs Manager will support implementing the Isla Vista Community Services District’s (IVCSD) goal to ensure that the Isla Vista Community Center (IVCC) is successfully reopened as an inviting and exciting space for the entire community, and that this new public resource is used strategically as a vehicle for positive cultural change in Isla Vista. This position will also support the implementation of the IVCSD’s goal to organize community stakeholders to imagine and implement regular programming for nightlife, arts, and culture through the Isla Vista Community Center, Community Room (IVCR), and other community facilities.
Under the direction of the General Manager the Isla Vista Community Events & Programs Manager will plan, develop, and execute the District’s programming and public reservation system for the Isla Vista Community Center and Community Room.
This position may assist the General Manager or other staff in areas such as facilities maintenance and major capital projects by identifying facility needs for programs/services.
IVCSD VISION STATEMENT
For Isla Vista, by Isla Vista, building the community we deserve.
ABOUT THE IVCSD
Isla Vista, CA is a close-knit oceanside town along the South-Central Coast in Santa Barbara County. It is known for its youthful atmosphere and the adventurous spirit of its residents. The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) was formed in early 2017 (Pursuant to Government Code § 61250) after decades of struggles for self-governance by the residents of this unincorporated community. The District’s adopted 2021-2022 budget includes $1.3 million for community facilities and programs, public safety services, a rental housing mediation program, a community beautification program, a compost collection service, and more. We have a small staff of a General Manager, Assistant General Manager, Community Engagement Director, and interns; along with many contractors and community partners.
For more information about the Isla Vista Community Center: https://islavistacsd.ca.gov/isla-vista-community-center-and-room
- Actively work with community partners and service providers to develop and implement strategic partnerships that deliver necessary and impactful services/programs in Isla Vista through the Isla Vista Community Center and Community Room.
- Actively work with potential users of the Isla Vista Community Center and Community Room to ensure successful public/private events take place, and develop and manage a reservation system.
- Implement measurement, data collection, and feedback systems that support ongoing learning, accountability, and assessment of impact.
- Assist the General Manager with identifying and proposing improvements to facility obstacles and needs to deliver community programs.
- Assist the General Manager with developing policies and procedures for the use of the Isla Vista Community Center and the Isla Vista Community Room.
- Assist the General Manager with staffing the Community Advisory Board and work with that group to identify how to best serve the community through the Isla Vista Community Center and Community Room.
- Assist the General Manager with tracking all program-related costs to the Isla Vista Community Center and Community Room.
OTHER DUTIES: To support IVCSD operations other duties, responsibilities, and activities as assigned. This position requires work on weekends and evenings per the facility events schedule.
- Google of Drive for storage; Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Sites for collaboration.
- Website content management systems, social media, and some working knowledge of digital software such as email marketing, calendaring, reservations, etc.
- Community engagement and/or organizing.
- Principals, practices, philosophies, and objectives of public community-based programs and services.
- Some knowledge of local government in California is preferred but not required.
- Build strong relationships with and negotiate a wide array of partners/users.
- Create systems to measure effectiveness of programs with continuous improvement in mind, and to iterate or pivot as needed.
- Plan events with a range of budgets/resources.
- Speak professionally and clearly in public.
- Work within a collaborative environment.
- Produce simple graphic design materials.
- Respond to public inquiries in a professional manner.
- Write strongly, clearly, and effectively for both external communication, such as partnership solicitations, and internal communication, such as reports to the Board.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has the willingness to understand and be a part of Isla Vista’s unique community culture.
- Speaks Spanish (strongly preferred but not required).
- Thinks creatively and strategically, employing a sense of curiosity and commitment to continuous learning and growth.
- Can work independently or in a team structure as-needed, in a fast environment with multiple priorities/tasks.
- Maintains a friendly, professional and approachable demeanor.
- Keeps internal matters confidential.
- Is responsive and corresponds with colleagues, constituents, and stakeholders in a timely manner.
All employees of the IVCSD are public servants of Isla Vista and represent a community investment in good governance. As such, employees shall strive to be efficient in their service and conduct themselves professionally and courteously in all dealings with the public and fellow employees. IVCSD Policy Manual
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
A bachelor's or associate’s degree from an accredited College/University, or equivalent experience, is preferred but not required.
Equivalent experience includes working in community service, program/event management, service delivery, non-profit/community based organization, or a related field.
Recruitment Opens: December 1, 2021
Deadline for Applications: December 10, 2021
Invitations to Interview: December 10, 2021
Interviews Conducted: December 13-14, 2021
Target Hire Date: December 16 or January 4, 2021
How to Apply:
Submit a resume, cover letter, and application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10:00am December 10, 2021: https://forms.gle/nmt41cQTo3adYw6m8
The Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status.