ISLA VISTA COMMUNITY SERVICES DISTRICT (IVCSD)
Job Title: Data Analyst
Part-time Temporary Employee
1 year term
Not to exceed 4 hours per week
Hourly Pay: $15.00
The Isla Vista Community Services District’s (IVCSD) Isla Vista Compost Collective (IVCC) is looking to hire a self-motivated, hard-working individual to take on the role of Data Analyst for its fast-growing community compost program. This position will provide analytical support to the program and work alongside the Director, Operations Manager, and Marketing Manager of IVCC. Professional experience and/or relevant coursework with computer science, data science and/or statistics is required.
ABOUT ISLA VISTA COMPOST COLLECTIVE
The IVCSD Compost Collective provides services to approximately 96 residents and this has resulted in diverting over 17,000 lbs of food waste from landfills since the program began. In Winter 2020, the Isla Vista Compost Collective (IVCC) officially became an IVCSD operation, allowing IVCC to continue its composting services and make plans for expanding services throughout Isla Vista.
The IVCSD Compost Collective Data Analyst will provide analytical support to the program, including analyzing data, developing statistics, providing required reporting information, recommending program improvements, and fixing technical issues, in support of the composting operations.
The employee will provide information, data analysis, and recommendations for operational and program improvements to the IVCC Director and IVCSD General Manager. They will work alongside IVCC’s Marketing Manager, IVCC’s Operations Manager, and the Director of IVCC to prioritize data collection and analysis for the development, expansion and improvement of program needs and services as well as assist with technical issues.
The employee will use various software and information technology applications to include, but not limited to: Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, Google Apps Script, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator to produce weekly user reports, quarterly status reports used in newsletters, and yearly impact reports delivered to grant providers. The employee may prepare other environmental and program impact reports as needed for the preparation of grant and expansion proposals.
Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status. All applicants are welcome to apply regardless of affiliation with any particular higher education institution.
The Ideal Candidate:
Will possess a passion for the environment and general knowledge of composting and convey a reliable and strong work ethic for working independently, and will possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Attend weekly team meetings
- Performing the day to day technical support necessary to assist with compost data collection and management
- Analyze data collected by IVCC Dirtriders in regards to the amount of food scraps collected in order to calculate the amount of carbon emissions reduced based on the total amount of food scraps diverted from the landfill.
- Additional calculations that demonstrate the program’s accomplishments should be developed
- Technical support/development of automated SMS messaging services using Twilio integration with Google Sheets via Google Apps Script.
- Create and present report findings of composting efforts and activities to assist with grant applications, fund development recognition, advisement to partners, stakeholders and the IVCSD Board of Directors. Reports produced include weekly user reports, quarterly status reports used in newsletters, and yearly impact reports delivered to our grant providers. Other environmental and program impact reports are created as needed for new grant and expansion proposals.
- Design new methods of data analysis to assist the compost program operations and increase program efficiency
- Provide continuous reporting of historical, and operating compost data and make appropriate recommendations for program improvements
- Develop and implement data collection systems and data analytics for optimizing operations, identify opportunities for efficiency and program expansion
- Applications and software used for this position include Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, Google Apps Script, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator
- Use visualization presentation, such as: Looker/Tableau/PowerBI, training end users on the use of new data systems, report generation, including how to handle related data sets and databases.
- Additional Duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- One (1) year of education, training or experience with Google Sheets/Excel
- One (1) year experience in database management
- Demonstrated experience analyzing data, reporting, and data visualization involving the use of graphic representations of data that communicate relationships among the represented data to stakeholders; using tools such as Looker/Tableau/PowerBI
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and the ability to problem solve and create new solutions
- Collecting, organizing, analyzing and sharing data and information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Translating data to non-technical, lay terms for operational effectiveness.
- Preparing written and verbal communications.
Desired Experience: Adobe Creative Suite experience is a plus
Education & Training:
High School graduate
The completion of at least one quarter or semester computer science, coding, or data science course with a passing grade. Accredited college courses from any institution including online courses and corporate training programs are acceptable.
For example, acceptable University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) courses include, but are not limited to the following:
- CMPSC 8 (Introduction to Computer Science)
- CMPSC 9 (Intermediate Python Programming)
- CMPSC 16 (Problem Solving with Computers I)
- PSTAT 10 (Principles of Data Science with R)
Alternatively, successful completion of an accredited training in:
- Google Apps Script
- Python programming
- Computer science
- Data science
The employee will work remotely for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic, and may continue to work remotely as COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, or at the discretion of the IVCSD General Manager.
APPLY BY Monday, October 5th at 5:00pm.
DOCUMENTS: Resume, Cover Letter, Transcript of Course Completion, Other Examples of Experience
Applicants will be notified via email in regards to the acceptance or rejection of applications, and those applicants who successfully meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to an interview over Zoom.