Isla Vista Compost Collective Dirtrider ~ 3 openings
Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD)
970 Embarcadero del Mar Suite 101
Isla Vista, CA 93117
Salary & Benefit Range:
Starting at $17/hr
5-7 hours/week depending on schedule and availability
ABOUT THE IVCSD'S COMPOST COLLECTIVE:
The mission of IVCC is to provide a free and reliable composting service for Isla Vista residents. IVCC serves the IV community by providing a service that reduces our carbon footprint, diverts waste, and promotes the health of our local soil and ecosystems (via community compost piles and educational events).
IVCSD VISION STATEMENT
For Isla Vista, by Isla Vista, building the community we deserve.
ABOUT THE IVCSD
Isla Vista, CA is a close-knit oceanside town along the South-Central Coast in Santa Barbara County. It is known for its youthful atmosphere and the adventurous spirit of its residents. The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) was formed in early 2017 (Pursuant to Government Code § 61250) after decades of struggles for self-governance by the residents of this unincorporated community. The District’s adopted 2021-2022 budget includes $1.3 million for community facilities and programs, public safety services, a rental housing mediation program, a community beautification program, a compost collection service, and more. We have a small staff of a General Manager, Community Engagement Director, Compost Collective Program Manager, Isla Vista Beautiful Program Manager, and Community Spaces Program Manager; along with many contractors and community partners.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Work alongside the IVCC team to monitor and maintain the community compost piles on a weekly basis.
- Take temperatures of piles in order to track their stage
- Physically turn the pile using a pitchfork or similar tool in order to homogenize and introduce oxygen to the materials
- Collect input ingredients from houses or landscapers and deliver the final compost product to gardens using our electric-powered tricycle
- Engage with the community and maintain strong relationships with our partners and stakeholders.
- Assist in coordination and oversight of multiple community outreach events and activities per quarter such as workshops, tabling, volunteer and philanthropy events, etc.
- Spread awareness around IVCC on a regular basis via word of mouth, social media, academic groups, etc.
- Communicate with the IVCC team on a regular basis.
- Attend and participate in weekly IVCC team meetings.
- Respond to daily team communication via chat within 24 hours on weekdays.
- Google suites: Drive, Docs, Sheets, Chat, etc.
- Minimum: Basic environmental information/ education
- Preferred: Composting methods, principles, and practices (let us know what types of composting methods you have used in your cover letter)
- Ideal: Knowledge of soil biology basics, closed food loop practices, and organic/permaculture principles
- Ability to perform necessary physical tasks such as lifting up to 50 lbs (minimum qualification for this role)
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Possesses excellent work ethic, appreciation for efficiency, and a good sense of operational rhythm.
- Maintains superior communication and collaboration skills with a diverse group of community members.
- Has excellent time and task management and is self-directed and self-motivated
- Has attention to detail and good information retention.
- Is willing to follow and develop protocol. Curiosity and ambition for operational excellence.
- Personally committed to undertaking the ongoing work of dismantling personal bias and all forms of supremacy.
- Passionate about compost, gardening, and the food system.
- Multi-lingual (preferred).
All employees of the IVCSD are public servants of Isla Vista and represent a community investment in good governance. As such, employees shall strive to be efficient in their service and conduct themselves professionally and courteously in all dealings with the public and fellow employees. IVCSD Policy Manual
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
Some completed coursework leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate is preferred but not required.
Recruitment Opens: March 23, 2023
Deadline for Applications: April 2, 2023
Invitations to Interview: April 3, 2023
Interviews Conducted: April 4-6, 2023
Target Hire Date: April 7, 2023
HOW TO APPLY:
- Submit a resume and class schedule (if you are a student) to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 2, 2023.
The Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status.