Isla Vista community garden and compost pile locations, IVCSD community spaces, and remote work.
Isla Vista, CA 93117
WAGE & BENEFIT RANGE:
IVCSD VISION STATEMENT:
For Isla Vista, by Isla Vista, building the community we deserve.
ABOUT THE IVCSD:
Isla Vista, CA is a close-knit oceanside town along the South-Central Coast in Santa Barbara County. It is known for its youthful atmosphere and the adventurous spirit of its residents. The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) was formed in early 2017 (Pursuant to Government Code § 61250) after decades of struggles for self-governance by the residents of this unincorporated community. The District’s adopted 2021-2022 budget includes $1.3 million for community facilities and programs, public safety services, a rental housing mediation program, a community beautification program, a compost collection service, and more. We have a small staff of a General Manager, Community Engagement Director, Compost Collective Program Manager, Isla Vista Beautiful Program Manager, and Community Spaces Program Manager; along with many contractors and community partners.
ABOUT THE IVCSD’s COMPOST COLLECTIVE:
The mission of IVCC is to provide a free and reliable composting service for Isla Vista residents. IVCC serves the IV community by providing a service that reduces our carbon footprint, diverts waste, and promotes the health of our local soil and ecosystems (via community compost piles and educational events).
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Marketing Manager of the IVCC will play a crucial role in the development and execution of sales and marketing strategies, focusing on promoting our compost products and merchandise. This position is primarily focused on sales and marketing efforts, with a special emphasis on market research and building and expanding our presence in the local market.
- Communicate with the IVCC team on a regular basis.
- Attend and participate in weekly IVCC team meetings.
- Respond to daily team communication via chat within 24 hours on weekdays.
- Sales and Relationship Building
- Develop and maintain relationships with local store owners and managers to secure shelf space for our compost products.
- Create schedules for product deliveries and restocking in collaboration with store partners.
- Regularly visit stores to ensure product availability and provide updates to store owners.
- Product Promotion
- Work with IVCC’s Program Manager and IVCSD’s Community Engagement Project Manager in developing a comprehensive marketing strategy to promote our compost products and merchandise.
- Create and implement marketing campaigns, including online and offline channels.
- Monitor the effectiveness of marketing efforts and adjust strategies as needed.
- Collection Promotion
- Promote our compost collection services to local residents and businesses.
- Collaborate with the operations team to develop educational materials and outreach campaigns.
- Attend community events and meetings to raise awareness about our compost collection services.
- Sales at Events
- Represent IVCC at local events, fairs, and farmers' markets.
- Set up booths and actively engage with attendees to sell compost and merchandise.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of outreach events.
- Payment System and Accounting
- Gain proficiency in our payment system and accounting procedures.
- Ensure adherence to cash handling policies and financial protocols
To support IVCSD operations other duties, responsibilities, and activities as assigned. This position requires work on weekends and evenings as-needed.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and access to a car is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships.
- Marketing or sales experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Basic knowledge of accounting principles.
- Google suites: Drive, Docs, Sheets, Chat, etc.
- Ability to perform necessary physical tasks such as lifting up to 50 lbs (minimum qualification for this role)
SKILLS/ KNOWLEDGE OF/ ABILITY TO:
- Minimum: Experience in composting, marketing, sales, accounting, or design
- Preferred: Experience in more than one area listed above
- Ideal: Extensive experience in one or more areas above across various mediums of communication
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Possesses excellent work ethic, appreciation for efficiency, and good sense of operational rhythm.
- Maintains superior communication and collaboration skills with a diverse group of community members.
- Has excellent time and task management and is self-directed and self-motivated
- Has attention to detail and good information retention.
- Personally committed to undertaking the on-going work of dismantling personal bias and all forms of supremacy.
- Passionate about compost, gardening and the food system.
- Multi-lingual (preferred)
All employees of the IVCSD are public servants of Isla Vista and represent a community investment in good governance. As such, employees shall strive to be efficient in their service and conduct themselves professionally and courteously in all dealings with the public and fellow employees. IVCSD Policy Manual
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
A bachelor's or associate’s degree from an accredited College/University, or equivalent experience, is preferred but not required.
Recruitment Opens: October 27th
Deadline for Applications: November 26th
Invitations to Interview: November 27th
Interviews Conducted: November 28th - December 1st
Target Hire Date: December 4th
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a resume and cover letter to IVCC’s Program Manager, Carly Marto, at email@example.com by October 26th at 5pm. Fill out google application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc-Y3Jom_EQchnOrkbBZ_90fcjvjDYWOgfiuL6EQWLUPtub8Q/viewform
The Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status. All employees of the IVCSD are public servants of Isla Vista and represent a community investment in good governance. As such, employees shall strive to be efficient in their service and conduct themselves professionally and courteously in all dealings with the public and fellow employees. -IVCSD Policy Manual