Isla Vista Compost Collective Operations Coordinator ~ 1 opening
Isla Vista community garden and compost pile locations, IVCSD community spaces, and remote work
Isla Vista, CA 93117
$20 / hour, 20 hours per week
PREFERED START DATE:
ASAP, June 2023
ABOUT THE IVCSD’s COMPOST COLLECTIVE
The mission of IVCC is to provide a free and reliable composting service for Isla Vista residents. IVCC serves the IV community by providing a service that reduces our carbon footprint, diverts waste, and promotes the health of our local soil and ecosystems (via community compost piles and educational events).
- Work alongside the IVCC team to monitor and maintain the community compost piles on a weekly basis.
- Engage with the community and maintain strong relationships with our partners and stakeholders.
- Spread awareness around IVCC on a regular basis via word of mouth, social media, academic groups, etc.
- Communicate with the IVCC team on a regular basis.
- Attend and participate in weekly IVCC team meetings.
- Respond to daily team communication via chat within 24 hours on weekdays.
- Manage Operations team
- Ensure all employee tasks are completed and the program is operating smoothly.
- Lead team staff meetings to answer questions, collaborate on decision making, assign tasks to team members, and remedy complaints/issues
- Create and nurture effective communication within the organization
- Develop partnerships with food and environmental justice organizations to plan and organize community events, such as the ongoing Food on Wheels program.
- Assist Program Manager in the creation and facilitation of educational workshops and community volunteer days.
- Assist the Program Manager in the creation of educational materials to share with the IVCC team and community.
- Assist Program Manager in responding to inquiries about the program from the public in a timely manner.
- Maintain and supervise the compost piles.
- Track, communicate, and schedule deliveries/and pickups across various supply and end use partners/vendors (ie. collection of food scraps from IV residents and sale of compost to local landscapers).
- Maintain the program’s equipment inventory and budget.
- Assist Program Manager in the creation of program reports and analysis, with collaboration from team members, for the General Manager and Board of Directors.
To support IVCSD operations other duties, responsibilities, and activities as assigned. This position requires work on weekends and evenings as-needed.
SKILLS/ KNOWLEDGE OF/ ABILITY TO:
- Google suites: Drive, Docs, Sheets, Chat, etc.
- Minimum: Basic environmental information/ education
- Preferred: Composting methods, principles, and practices (let us know what types of composting methods you have used in your cover letter)
- Ideal: Knowledge of soil biology basics, closed food loop practices, and organic/permaculture principles
- Ability to perform necessary physical tasks such as lifting up to 50 lbs (minimum qualification for this role)
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Possesses excellent work ethic, appreciation for efficiency, and good sense of operational rhythm.
- Maintains superior communication and collaboration skills with a diverse group of community members.
- Has excellent time and task management and is self-directed and self-motivated
- Has attention to detail and good information retention.
- Is willing to follow and develop protocol. Curiosity and ambition for operational excellence.
- Personally committed to undertaking the on-going work of dismantling personal bias and all forms of supremacy.
- Passionate about compost, gardening and the food system.
- Multi-lingual (preferred)
Recruitment Opens: May 16
Deadline for Applications: June 11
Invitations to Interview: June 11
Interviews Conducted: June 12-14
Target Hire Date: June 15
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a resume and cover letter to IVCC’s Program Manager, Carly Marto, at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 11 at 10am.
Fill out google application: https://forms.gle/bbGWnDMqPgd44kiS8
The Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status. All employees of the IVCSD are public servants of Isla Vista and represent a community investment in good governance. As such, employees shall strive to be efficient in their service and conduct themselves professionally and courteously in all dealings with the public and fellow employees. -IVCSD Policy Manual