Isla Vista MOVE OUT DATES: June 9 to June 25, 2021
Make a Plan - Don't Contribute to Waste & Climate Change:
- During Move Out 2020, 702,000 pounds of material were collected from Isla Vista streets, down from 1.2 million pounds from 2019, and over 1,100 mattresses were diverted for recycling.
- Since 2000 the combined amount of material Marborg Industries has removed off the streets of Isla Vista through the Move Out program totals 20,282,000 pounds.
- Please Plan Accordingly! If property owners or management companies discover abandoned belongings after the official Move Out concludes on at 12 noon on June 25th, 2021, they will need to arrange for, and cover the costs of, the removal of that material. Bulky item pick-ups by Marborg that occur in Isla Vista every Wednesday are for single items ONLY, and may NOT be used to dispose of multiple items as a result of tenants abandoning their belongings. Please plan accordingly!!
****DO NOT BLOCK ACCESS TO DUMPSTERS WITH GARBAGE OR VEHICLES***
Donate/Sell your Belongings:
- The Isla Vista GIVE Benefit Sale is CANCELLED this year. Please keep our community clean and free of waste by not dumping your trash or large items in the road or public spaces like parks.
- Community thrift stores as an alternative to the GIVE sale: www.sa.ucsb.edu/give-iv
- DAILY STARTING ON WEDNESDAY 6/9 MarBorg will pick-up at the curb line bulks items, such as a mattress, couch, couches, chairs, bookshelves, or other items too large for a collection container.
- DO place your items outside on the curb line every morning during Move Out
- DO NOT place items on curb after 5pm.
- DO NOT block access to the sidewalk, keep in mind neighbors who may need to use it while roads are busy during move out.
- MarBorg will NOT go down driveways or onto private property to pick up any bulky items placed next to a dumpster or dumped at the rear of a property. There will be no exceptions.
- Except at the curb line for disposal during Move Out, ANY upholstered indoor furniture stored on the exterior of ANY structure in Isla Vista is a violation of Chapter 17-9 and is eligible for a $535 citation; no exceptions. This is enforced year-round!
- The following materials are NOT accepted at curbside: green waste, construction material (e.g. carpet, lumber, paint, etc.), any remodeling material, including dry wall, kitchen, or plumbing fixtures, and hazardous waste.
Regular Trash Pick-up:
- Your regular MarBorg trash service will continue during move out
- DURING MOVE OUT MarBorg will empty dumpsters, recycle containers, and trash bins DAILY, OR AS NEEDED.
- FULL DUMPSTER? Before overflowing, call 805-963-1852 and request service.
- Green waste, construction material, carpet, paint, lumber, remodeling material, dye, wall, kitchen, or plumbing fixture, and green and hazardous waste DO NOT go into your regular trash bin. Please contact Marborg Industries for additional services to remove construction material at an added cost. You may also drop these off yourself at the South Coast Recycling and Transfer Station: https://lessismore.org/locations/364-south-coast-recycling-and-transfer-station-2/
- For more information visit: www.lessismore.org/material_categories/6-trash/
Donate Non-perishable Food: Food on Wheels:
- From now until Thursday June 10, you can drop off your non-perishable food in our colorfully painted trash can drop-off containers located at the IV Food Co-Op (during regular operating hours)
- For more information about the IVCC, visit: https://islavistacsd.ca.gov/isla-vista-compost-collective
- Donate your “in acceptable condition” bike and it will be refurbished and sold at low cost in the SB community.For details contact Christine at: email@example.com
- To arrange for the pick-up and donation of 10 or more bikes, call Bici Centro Manager, Michael at: 805-617-3255
- Bikes abandoned in Isla Vista public areas will be tagged and removed.
For more information visit: https://www.sbbike.org/bicicentro
Electronic Waste Disposal:
- State of California law prohibits the disposal of electronic waste (anything with a plug or battery) in the trash or in curbside recycling containers.
- E-waste includes: Cell phones, printer cartridges, small and large appliances, such as TVs, computers, audio and visual equipment.
- Take your e-waste to one of several drop-off sites within the county or set it aside at the curb line during Move Out dates.
- For more information visit: www.LessIsMore.org/ewaste
- Place the batteries in a zip-top plastic bag
- Put the bag on top of (not inside) your recycling container on your normally scheduled recycling collection day
- For rechargeable batteries, please tape the ends of each battery with clear tape so that the battery poles are not exposed (skip this step for single-use batteries)
- For more information visit: www.LessIsMore.org/ewaste
- Green waste is any organic waste like leaves or brush, can be disposed off in GREEN bins. It is used by the county to creat mulch.
- New regulations on disposing of eucalyptus & oleander: https://lessismore.org/articles/new-eucalyptus-and-oleander-separation-requirements/
- Hazardous waste is an industrial by-product from the manufacture of chemicals, for example batteries, aerosol cans, fluorescent lights, gradenting supplies, sharps and pharmaceutical waste, see categories at: http://lessismore.org/material_categories/4-hazardous-waste/
- If you must dispose of your waste, there are designated waste collection centers. For locations visit: http://lessismore.org/materials/175-county-waste-facilities/#haz
Unwanted household medications can be dropped off at the Sheriff’s substation at 6504 Trigo Road. The station is open Monday- Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Friday hours are sporadic due to staffing).
For more information visit:
Community Hazardous Waste Collection Center
E-Waste & Household Medications
If you have any law enforcement issues during Move Out, including trespassing, please contact the IV Foot Patrol at 805-681-4179.