Isla Vista Community Services District
970 Embarcadero del Mar Suite 101
Isla Vista, CA 93117
Pay & Benefits:
$20 - $24/hour DOE, 20 hours/week
Silver PPO health insurance (value of $7,550/year), provided 30 days after hire.
Retirement - Required participation in a 457(b) retirement plan, 9% employer contribution and 3% employee contribution
Paid Time Off - 11 Paid Holidays, Winter Recess (12/24-1/2), 15 vacation days per year (prorated upon hire, with rollover), and sick days.
Hourly | Benefited, At-will position
ABOUT THE IVCSD’s Isla Vista Compost Collective
Isla Vista Compost Collective provides services to approximately 96 households and has diverted over 33,000 lbs of food waste from landfills since the program began as a community/student organization in 2017. In March 2020, the Isla Vista Compost Collective became a service under the Isla Vista Community Services District, allowing IVCC to continue its composting services and make plans for expanding services throughout Isla Vista. The current staff includes 6 Dirtriders picking up compost from households, a Data Analyst measuring the program’s productivity, a Marketing Manager, and an Operations Manager.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Isla Vista Compost Collective Program Manager oversees the successful operations of the IV Compost Collective program, under the direction of the Isla Vista Community Services District General Manager. The Program Manager is responsible for the overall management of the program and supervision of IV Compost Collective employees.
- Train and supervise all Isla Vista Compost Collective employees on a daily basis (Assistant Manager, Marketing Manager, Data Analyst, and Dirtriders).
- Ensure all employee tasks are completed and the program is operating smoothly.
- Lead weekly team meetings, assign tasks to team members.
- Respond in a timely manner to inquiries about the program from the public.
- Maintain the program’s equipment inventory and budget.
- Maintain and update the program’s policy manual.
- Lead the creation of program reports and analysis, with collaboration from team members, for the General Manager and Board of Directors.
- Work closely with the General Manager to oversee the program's budget and apply for grants as available.
- Work closely with the General Manager to plan for the future, improvement, and expansion of the program.
- Develop partnerships with food and environmental justice organizations to plan and organize community events, such as the ongoing Food on Wheels program.
- Maintain and supervise the Estero Compost Pile.
OTHER DUTIES: To support Isla Vista Compost Collective operations other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned. This position will work on weekends and evenings as needed for community outreach or events.
- Composting methods, principals, and practices
- Basic environmental information/education
- Google Drive for storage; Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Sites for collaboration
- Respond to public inquiries in a professional manner.
- Manage a team of 8 to 10 people
- Utilize established relationships and communications channels to raise awareness on community issues
- Write and speak clearly and effectively in public and in private communication.
- Seek and recognize new opportunities to fulfill the program’s mission while maintaining a sustainable work load.
- Meet deadlines, keep organized and communicate in a timely manner.
- Track, analyze, and maintain program outputs.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has the willingness to understand and be a part of Isla Vista’s unique community culture.
- Possess leadership experience managing a team.
- Self-Directed and Self-Motivated: Able to work independently while supporting the efforts of the team as a whole.
- Maintains a friendly, professional and approachable demeanor.
- Keeps internal matters confidential.
- Speaks Spanish (preferred but not required).
- Is passionate about environmental justice and climate change.
- Works well with a wide array of partners including other government agencies, students, nonprofits, businesses, property owners, and community groups.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
Some coursework or direct work experience is preferred but not required in the following areas: composting, program management, environmental science, waste management, operations, community organizing
ON THE JOB TRAINING REQUIRED
- Gain a complete understanding of Compost Collective policy manual
- Work alongside the IVCSD General Manager and Compost Collective Operations Manager to familiarize oneself with the program operations, history, and structure.
- Actively learn how the Dirtriders complete their job
- Estero Park Compost Pile Maintenance
Recruitment Opens: May 14, 2021
Deadline for Applications: June 4, 2021
Invitations to Interview: June 9, 2021
Interviews Conducted: June 16-19, 2021
Target Hire Date: July 6 - August 1, 2021
How to Apply:
Submit a resume, cover letter, and application to email@example.com by 11:59pm June 4, 2021: https://forms.gle/3XbrEThXdvz8XpRZ9
The Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status.
IVCSD VISION STATEMENT
For Isla Vista, by Isla Vista, building the community we deserve.
ABOUT THE IVCSD
Isla Vista, CA is a close-knit oceanside town along the South-Central Coast in Santa Barbara County. It is known for its youthful atmosphere and the adventurous spirit of its residents. The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) was formed in early 2017 (Pursuant to Government Code § 61250) after decades of struggles for self-governance by the residents of this unincorporated community. The District’s adopted 2020-2021 budget includes $1.3 million for community facilities and programs, public safety services, a rental housing mediation program, a community beautification program, a compost collection service, and more. We have a small staff of a General Manager, Assistant General Manager, and interns; along with many contractors and community partners.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES
- Maintain and supervise the Estero Compost Pile:Weekly check in with the pile, adding browns or greens as needed, removing finished compost and storing itReviewing Dirtrider’s work at the pile and providing directionUpdating Estero Compost Pile operation manual as necessaryCommunicating with IVRPD regarding any issues or improvements neededOrganize public drop-off hoursDevelop and maintain a finished compost distribution program