Skip to main content

Specific Waste Disposal

  • State of California law prohibits the disposal of electronic waste (anything with a plug or battery) in the trash or in curbside recycling containers.
  • E-waste includes: Cell phones, printer cartridges, small and large appliances, such as TVs, computers, audio and visual equipment. If something plugs in, charges up, or takes batteries, it is considered e-waste. 
  • Take your e-waste to one of several drop-off sites within the county or set it aside at the curb line during Move Out dates. 
  • Call (805-963-1852) to check Marborg recycling centers' hours of operation and disposal fees, or to schedule a pickup. 
  • Place the batteries in a zip-top plastic bag. 
  • Put the bag on top of (not inside) your recycling container on your normally scheduled recycling collection day.
  • For rechargeable batteries, please tape the ends of each battery with clear tape so that the battery poles are not exposed (skip this step for single-use batteries).
  • For more information visit:


  • In California, it is illegal and dangerous to put hazardous waste in the regular trash. Luckily, there are free, local drop-off options for household hazardous waste. Antifreeze, electronics, fluorescent light bulbs, batteries, oil (petroleum-based), and paint (both oil and water-based) can be dropped off at MarBorg's Downtown or Goleta recycling centers. Many other items can be dropped off at the Community Hazardous Waste Collection Center at UCSB. Click here for more information.