Community Spaces Data Intern Job Announcement
Community Spaces Data Intern
Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD)
970 Embarcadero del Mar Suite 101
Isla Vista, CA 93117
Salary & Benefit Range:
Starting at $17/hr
10-12 hours/week depending on schedule and availability
ABOUT THE POSITION
Community Spaces Interns will work with the Community Spaces Program Manager to execute the IVCSD Board of Directors directions and the provision of Community Services District (CSD) services at the Community Center and Community Room. This role plays a role in the day-to-day operations and delivery of community spaces services along with identifying needed community services or the expansion of community spaces programs. This role aids and supports Community Spaces Program Manager in the execution of the policies set by the elected Board of Directors.
The Community Spaces Intern will assist Community Spaces Program Manager with a variety of tasks and projects ranging from events, planning projects at the Community Center/ Community Room, maintaining an organized and inclusive environment, and constituent outreach to promote community spaces programming.
IVCSD VISION STATEMENT
For Isla Vista, by Isla Vista, building the community we deserve.
ABOUT THE IVCSD
Isla Vista, CA is a close-knit oceanside town along the South-Central Coast in Santa Barbara County. It is known for its youthful atmosphere and the adventurous spirit of its residents. The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) was formed in early 2017 (Pursuant to Government Code § 61250) after decades of struggles for self-governance by the residents of this unincorporated community. The District’s adopted 2021-2022 budget includes $1.3 million for community facilities and programs, public safety services, a rental housing mediation program, a community beautification program, a compost collection service, and more. We have a small staff of a General Manager, Community Engagement Director, Compost Collective Program Manager, Isla Vista Beautiful Program Manager, and Community Spaces Program Manager; along with many contractors and community partners.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Assist in data collection from community-wide surveys
- Propose, develop, and implement projects to better the community spaces within the scope of the CSD.
- Extract and clean data from our community calendar website to prepare for analysis
- Produce visual graphs and charts to track facility and program progress over time
- Automate calendar processes and responses
- Track KPI’s
- Assist in the development, design, and delivery of community spaces programs
- Assist in the development, design, and delivery of community events, including events hosted by the CSD and events hosted by members of the community
- Assist with records management projects, maintenance, and related tasks
- Google of Drive for storage; Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Sites for collaboration.
- Agile/SCRUM/Kanban work systems/methodologies are preferred but not required
- Zoom, and/or other virtual meeting platforms
- Some knowledge of local government in California is preferred but not required.
- Problem-solve and create new solutions.
- Represent the District in a professional and courteous manner
- Use both written and oral forms of communication
- Work cooperatively with IVCSD staff, stakeholders, service providers, and the public
- Clearly communicate with others within and outside of the workplace
- Work in a collaborative environment
- Plan, develop, revise, and complete projects in a timely manner
- Be organized and have good time management skills
- Problem-solve and maintain a solution-oriented mindset to formulate new and innovative solutions.
- Lift up to 40lbs (tables, chairs, other equipment)
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has strong interpersonal skills and active listening skills to build rapport with community members and listen carefully to their perspectives and needs.
- Has the willingness to understand and be a part of Isla Vista’s unique community culture. A resident of Isla Vista is a plus.
- Thinks creatively and strategically, employing a sense of curiosity and commitment to continuous learning and growth.
- Can work independently or in a team structure as needed.
- Maintains a friendly, professional, and approachable demeanor.
- Keeps internal matters confidential.
- Is responsive and corresponds with colleagues, constituents, and stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Has a passion for building community.
- Canvassing experience is a plus.
All employees of the IVCSD are public servants of Isla Vista and represent a community investment in good governance. As such, employees shall strive to be efficient in their service and conduct themselves professionally and courteously in all dealings with the public and fellow employees. IVCSD Policy Manual
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
Some completed coursework leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate is preferred but not required.
Recruitment Opens: March 15, 2023
Deadline for Applications: March 24, 2023
Invitations to Interview: March 27, 2023
Interviews Conducted: March 28-31, 2023
Target Hire Date: April 3, 2023
How to Apply:
- Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by March 24, 2023.
The Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status.