Community Engagement Project Manager
Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD)
970 Embarcadero del Mar Suite 101
Isla Vista, CA 93117
Salary & Benefit Range:
Platinum PPO health, dental, and vision insurance (value of $12,339/year), provided 30 days after hire
Retirement - Required participation in a 457(b) retirement plan, 9% employer contribution, and 3% employee contribution
Paid Time Off - 11 Paid Holidays, Winter Recess (12/24-1/2), 15 vacation days per year (prorated upon hire, with rollover), and sick days.
Non-Exempt | Benefited, At-will position
ABOUT THE POSITION
IVCSD’s Community Engagement (CE) Department is expanding and looking for someone with a passion for supporting residents and community members while collaborating with community partners. The Community Engagement Department oversees Community Education, Community Outreach, Resource Development, Volunteer Engagement, and more.
The CE department’s mission is to support IVCSD’s goals to strengthen relationships within the District and the wider community, to expand awareness of the utilization of the District’s services, and to regularly engage, educate, and gather feedback from community members.
This role is integral in the day-to-day operations and delivery of services. The Community Engagement Project Manager will assist the Community Engagement Director on a variety of tasks and projects ranging from creating social media content, executing marketing plans, drafting flyers, supporting events, tabling, canvassing, increasing community participation and awareness, maintaining an organized and inclusive environment, and constituent outreach to promote services.
IVCSD VISION STATEMENT
For Isla Vista, by Isla Vista, building the community we deserve.
ABOUT THE IVCSD
Isla Vista, CA is a close-knit oceanside town along the South-Central Coast in Santa Barbara County. It is known for its youthful atmosphere and the adventurous spirit of its residents. The Isla Vista Community Services District (IVCSD) was formed in early 2017 (Pursuant to Government Code § 61250) after decades of struggles for self-governance by the residents of this unincorporated community. The District’s adopted 2021-2022 budget includes $1.3 million for community facilities and programs, public safety services, a rental housing mediation program, a community beautification program, a compost collection service, and more. We have a small staff of a General Manager, Community Engagement Director, Compost Collective Program Manager, Isla Vista Beautiful Program Manager, and Community Spaces Program Manager; along with many contractors and community partners.
- Manage day-to-day outreach prep, logistics, and activities.
- Deliver a range of innovative community outreach and engagement activities and actively gather community feedback.
- Promote IVCSD’s mission, and inform the community about IVCSD’s services and role in the community.
- Draft all marketing plans to educate the community about CSD services.
- Website management and content updates.
- Draft all related community outreach and marketing materials, both print and digital materials i.e flyers, social media posts, captions, press releases, newsletters, email blasts, door hangers, community surveys, etc.
- Post across platforms including but not limited to Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, Constant Contact, Nextdoor, etc.
- Posting flyers throughout Isla Vista and sharing them with key stakeholders.
- Direct contact with community members through resource distribution tabling and canvassing throughout the community.
- Assist in the development, design, and delivery of community events, including but not limited to Town Halls, Community Forums/Workshops, events/programming at our Community Spaces.
- Assists with presentations about community awareness and programs to community entities/stakeholders
- Attend Community meetings to share services, resources, and event information.
- Recruit and support local community members to become volunteers, and ensure that they remain engaged and involved.
- Provide support for community projects and efforts, in line with Board Policy, to expand and deepen community entrenchment of the IVCSD.
- Compile and write reports of feedback and data collected.
- Working in different environments (both from home, office-based, and on the ground), at times best suited to the community including evenings and weekends.
OTHER DUTIES: To support IVCSD operations and other duties, responsibilities, and activities as assigned. This position requires work on weekends and evenings as needed.
- Google Drive for storage; Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Sites for collaboration.
- Constant Contact is preferred.
- Community engagement and/or organizing.
- Experience using creative platforms for community engagement, such as design, art, photography, and video.
- Social media applications
- Theories on social change, community building, youth & families, and public goods.
- Agile/SCRUM/Kanban work systems/methodologies are preferred but not required
- Zoom, and/or other virtual meeting platforms
- Some knowledge of local government in California is preferred but not required.
- Use creative platforms for community engagement, such as design, art, photography, or video
- Build strong relationships with and negotiate a wide array of partners including youth and families, other government agencies, students, seniors, nonprofits, businesses, property owners, and community groups.
- Lead others to reach a common goal.
- Work within a collaborative environment.
- Represent the District in a professional and courteous manner
- Perform analytical work and prepare clear and concise reports.
- Plan, develop, review, and complete projects in a timely manner.
- Be highly organized and have good time management skills
- Problem-solve and maintain a solution-oriented mindset to formulate new and innovative solutions.
- Use both written and oral forms of communication.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Has strong interpersonal skills and active listening skills to build rapport with community members and listen carefully to their perspectives and needs.
- Has the willingness to understand and be a part of Isla Vista’s unique community culture. A resident of Isla Vista is a plus.
- Thinks creatively and strategically, employing a sense of curiosity and commitment to continuous learning and growth.
- Can work independently or in a team structure as needed.
- Maintains a friendly, professional, and approachable demeanor.
- Keeps internal matters confidential.
- Is responsive and corresponds with colleagues, constituents, and stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Bilingual and able to read, write, and speak Spanish proficiently are required.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Has a passion for community engagement and building community.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Canvassing experience is a plus.
All employees of the IVCSD are public servants of Isla Vista and represent a community investment in good governance. As such, employees shall strive to be efficient in their service and conduct themselves professionally and courteously in all dealings with the public and fellow employees. IVCSD Policy Manual
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
A bachelor's or associate’s degree from an accredited College/University, or equivalent experience, is preferred but not required.
Recruitment Opens: May 10, 2023
Deadline for Applications: May 24, 2022
Invitations to Interview: May 25, 2023
Interviews Conducted: May 30 - 31, 2023
Target Hire Date: June 1, 2023
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please complete this Google form here by May 24, 2023.
- Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by May 24, 2023.
The Isla Vista Community Services District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability or veteran status.